By Jeff Hoglen
So, here we are on the brink of another new year. The resolutions of years past seem like a distant memory. You either started and stopped or never even took the first step. This year you have determined in your heart that something must change. You’re ready for a fresh start. While your current situation may be challenging, the intention of making a fresh start is a good sign. It’s much better than giving up! Smile… take a deep breath and let’s look at a few things that can help you start and stay on track this new year!
So, what do you need to change? Is it just one area of your life or do you need a complete makeover?
You can make a fresh start in any area of your life:
- HOME: Consider giving your living arrangement a makeover. Instead of moving or knocking down walls, let’s start simple:
- Move the furniture or purchase new furniture.
- Paint the walls a new color. Maybe even just paint one room, rest and then repeat J
- Convert a spare room into a room with a purpose. It could be dedicated to music, arts and crafts, or meditation.
2. FINANCES: Look at your current financial challenges and finally address them with a detailed, step-by-step plan you can stick to.
- Plan for your retirement.
- Address your debt
- Find a job with a higher salary.
- Talk to a financial advisor.
- Work a second job.
- Create a budget.
3. SOCIAL LIFE: It’s time to say goodbye to the people in your life that drag you down and replace them with those that provide a boost to your life. Remember: You become like the top 5 people you are around the most.
4. HEALTH: Sheesh….. I’m preaching to myself here.
- Hire a personal trainer and join a gym if you can.
- Find a diet that works for you.
- Address any health issues you might have.
- Visit the doctor and the dentist.
- Try a new sport. You never know, you may like hiking or kayaking. Fun + health = win win!
5. CAREER: Here are a few suggestions 🙂
- Ask for a raise or change jobs.
- Grab your career by the horns and learn new skills that will make a difference.
- Consider going back to school.
- Take a webinar! You wont believe how much you can learn online!
- Make yourself indispensable. Do so well at what you do…and know more than everyone else… and possess skills that others don’t and you will an asset the company or organization cannot afford to lose.
6. FAITH: Search for truth.
I have found that Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth and Life. Until I discovered my faith, I had no real purpose or sense of direction. Search for truth, ask good questions and find someone who you can discuss faith. I’m here if you need me. My contact info is below.
These are just a few ideas. You can also address your current relationships, attitude, or fears. It isn’t necessary to change everything at once. In fact, addressing one area at a time will yield better results.
Useful tips for changing your life:
- Develop systems that support your desired change. For instance, if you want to meditate daily, create a schedule that ensures you’ll be compliant. Use a timer so you won’t worry about spending too much time or falling asleep.
- Visualize the change. See yourself with a healthy body or bank account. Allow yourself to feel successful and proud. Project yourself into the future and enjoy the changes you’ve made.
- Be willing to fail from time to time. It’s not easy to change. In fact, your brain is highly resistant to change. You’re doing well enough to be alive, and that’s good enough for your brain. It views any change as potentially dangerous, so it’s not going to allow you to change easily. Expect that you’ll struggle during the process.
- Commit to persevering. Success will be yours.
- Be kind to yourself. Celebrate each victory, no matter how small. Give yourself a pat on the back when you deserve it. Any progress is great news, so enjoy it.
Making a fresh start can result in a new and exciting experience and even a whole new life. Aim high and be diligent. You’ll be glad you did.