Have you ever asked, “Why do some people seem to get what they want out of life while others do not?” When I look at those who are successful and compare them to the frustrated, I can see some vast differences. My hope is this short blog post will help you navigate some of these common mistakes when it comes to reaching your goals and living your life to the fullest.
Here are some common pitfalls:
1. You don’t know what you want. Just because you’re unhappy with your current situation doesn’t mean that you know what you want. It only means that you don’t want what you have.
- What is the Solution? It’s that simple. Make a list of what you want and structure your life around creating that life and attaining those things. Don’t just make the list in your mind. Write it down!
2. You need to prioritize. Do you really want to reach a financial goal, get physically fit or grow closer to God? (Whatever your chosen goal may be) Or would you rather watch Seinfeld reruns and eat Cheetos at night?
- What is the Solution? We all have 24 hours in a day. Maybe the real issue isn’t what you want, but what you’re willing to give up. Getting in shape requires giving up certain foods and giving up some free time. Growing closer to God also requires some self-discipline and time management. How much are you willing to give up to get what you want? Answer that question and you’ll know how much it means to you.
3. Your focus needs more focus. (Great quote by Mr Myagi in the Karate Kid movie) It’s never been easier to get distracted or sidetracked than this day that we live. Modern life is full of digital distractions. Our ability to focus has never been lower.
- What is the Solution? Remind yourself of your goals at least twice each day. Read and visualize your goals while you lie in bed, once in the morning and once at night. Keep your intentions fresh in your mind by reminding yourself of them daily.
4. You can’t handle the truth. (Another great movie quote haha) You need a good work ethic! Even the most prestigious accomplishments are a grind 99% of the time. Consider a professional basketball player like Kobe Bryant. There are plenty of stories of Kobe staying after a Friday night game and working with a coach all night long until practice time on Saturday morning.
- What is the Solution? Regardless of the size of your aspirations, it won’t be exciting 99% of the time. Those that know me, know that I’m not the biggest sports fan. But I do know this: Throwing a touchdown like Tom Brady is fun. Watching thousands of hours of tape all year long is not.
- Accept that much of your goal requires actions that won’t be fun or exciting.
5. You’re not focused on processes. Obsessing over your weight isn’t the key to getting slimmer. Everything in life has a process. My youngest son once said – “Dad not everything is a process!” My reply was simply, “Everything is a process whether we realize it or not.” From driving a car, to making breakfast and yes, even using the bathroom has a process.
- What is the Solution? Define the process needed to reach your goal. Create a list of “steps” that point you toward success. Make steps toward your goal ever day!
6. You’re impatient. Success at anything takes time. Depending on your objective, you might find that your sixth month provides more results than the first five months. It’s not unlike trying to roll a boulder down a hill. It can take a lot of energy to get it moving, but it quickly picks up speed with minimal effort after that.
- What is the Solution? After making a plan… work the plan….and then trust the process. If you’re doing effective things each day, you’ll eventually get to where you want to go. Avoid giving in to your frustration. Be patient.
Life can be frustrating and challenging. It can be especially frustrating when nothing seems to go your way. Know what you want and have a logical plan to achieve it. Have the patience to wait for the results to arrive. You can do it.