Why do some people seem to get what they want out of life while others do not? There are several common reasons why your life isn’t everything you want it to be. If you understand these common mistakes, you can increase the likelihood of getting what you want. Have you ever wondered why some of your friends are successful… and they aren’t any more talented than you are?
Get what you want by avoiding the most common pitfalls:
- You don’t know what you want. Just because you’re unhappy with your current situation doesn’t mean that you know what you want. It only means that you don’t want what you have.
- Solution: It’s that simple. Make a list of what you want and structure your life around creating that life and attaining those things. Do something each day to get closer to your goal!
- You don’t make the things you want a priority. Do you really want a successful career or to lose the weight you keep talking about? Or would you rather watch Seinfeld reruns and eat Cheetos at night?
- Solution: The real issue isn’t what you want, but what you’re willing to give up. It’s going to take work. Nobody ever got discovered or hit it big by doing nothing. Getting in shape requires giving up certain foods and giving up some free time to hit the gym consistently. How much are you willing to give up to get what you want? Answer that question and you’ll know how much it means to you.
- You aren’t focused. It’s never been easier to get distracted or forgetful than it is right now. Modern life is full of digital distractions. Our ability to focus has never been lower. In the words Mr Myagi in the last Karate Kid movie – “Your focus needs more focus.”
- Solution: Remind yourself of your goals at least twice each day. Read and visualize your goals while you lie in bed, once in the morning and once at night. Keep your intentions fresh in your mind by reminding yourself of them daily.
- You aren’t prepared for the grind. Even the most prestigious accomplishments are a grind 99% of the time. Consider a professional basketball player like Kobe Bryant. There are plenty of stories of Kobe staying after a Friday night game and working with a coach all night long until practice time on Saturday morning.
- Solution: The most impressive accomplishments require mundane, boring tasks repeated over long periods of time. Regardless of the size of your aspirations, it won’t be exciting 99% of the time. Playing music in front of thousands of fans is great. Preparing your gift / talent, writing the songs, recording them, arranging a tour….. not so much.
- Accept that much of your goal requires actions that won’t be fun or exciting.
- You’re not focused on processes. Obsessing over your weight isn’t the key to getting slimmer. The key is the adoption of habits that will automatically carry you to your goal.
- Solution: Create a list of habits that guarantee success. (Things that you can do each day to get closer to your desired goal) Now your only real challenge is to incorporate those habits into your life. Start small and continue to make progressive changes. Trust the process! Don’t get lazy!
- You’re impatient. Success at anything takes time. Depending on your objective, you might find that your sixth month provides more results than the first five months. It’s not unlike trying to roll a boulder down a hill. It can take a lot of energy to get it moving, but it quickly picks up speed with minimal effort after that. #lawofthebigMO 🙂 #JohnMaxwell
- Solution: Don’t rely on your emotions. If you’re doing effective things each day, you’ll get what you want. Avoid giving in to your frustration. Be patient.
Life is frustrating and challenging. It can be especially frustrating when nothing seems to go your way. Know what you want and have a logical plan to achieve it. Have the patience to wait for the results to arrive.